A dish with lots of lovely flavours. Spice it up with chilli if you want. I really like to serve it with mango for a sweet contrast.
West african rice with beans
- Prepare and cut the pepper, tomatoes and one onion into big chunks. Blend them to a smooth tomato sauce.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Finely chop an onion and fry until nicely golden before adding the tomato paste and fry for a few min.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan together with the spices and the broth cubes. Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 40 min while stiring occasionally.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in lukewarm water. Add it to a pot together with 2 dl water and let it boil for 4 min.
- Add 2 dl water to the pan with the sauce, followed by the rice. Cover it and let simmer for about 12 min. Add water if needed.
- When the rice is done, add the beans (without the liquid) and let them get warm before serving.
- Enjoy the dish as is, or together with a source of protein. Really nice to have mango on the side.